I’ve been really busy at work lately, working 9+ hours a day plus some weekend days. I love my work but I can feel that it’s been a bit too much. So I’ve focused a lot on keeping the zen rituals in my life that I implemented during my days of severe stress. And also admitting to myself and my co-workers that it’s been too much. Now things are slowing down a bit and I’m absolutely convinced that having my rituals is what kept me off stress and enables me to feel what’s going on in my body.
Some of my rituals include:
- Going to bed with lavender oil and a book/magazine to enjoy some downtime before sleeping
- Running (just keep swimming, just keep swimming)
- Taking a few sun salutations in the morning
- Having dinner with my husband whenever possible
- Writing in my diary
- Taking a rush of cold water over my entire body at the end of my morning shower – wakes up the body and stimulates blood circulation
Sometimes I take 2 minutes on the floor in my office where I just lie down and close my eyes. I don’t sleep I just rest for two minutes. It’s so efficient. Try it if your computer screen is swimming in front of your eyes and you need to relax!
It can be really difficult to admit to other people that you can’t handle working 10-12 hours a day if you’re a perfectionist and a work-a-holic like me. But I just learned that I have to if I’m going to enjoy my life and have a husband, hobbies and great experiences in my life. I hope you’ll have the courage to do the same thing, being honest and open about your vulnerability. It will do you the world.